Sunday, May 04, 2008

Bring Back the Music


Having four kids between the ages of 17 and 24 gives me some interesting perspectives. In recent years, our music tastes have become more similar as they have borrowed my CD's and I have been introduced to some newer musical artists by my kids.


A few Christmases ago, this convergence was made very obvious to me when my son's wish list included artists like Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin and the Doors. As I attend live concerts of the artists that emerged in the 70's, I find an increasing share of the audience wasn't even born when the artist was first hitting the charts. It appears that during the 80's and the 90's, many of the musical artists of that era failed to have a lasting impact on even their own generation. Kids during the 80's and the 90's had a great deal of competition for their time and attention with the internet, playstation and text messaging. In the early 70's, disco had not yet emerged and many states had a drinking age of 18 still which caused many young people to revolve their social life around going to clubs and listening to live music. While not always great quality, it enabled musicians to make a living playing in a band that performed in clubs.


I'm not predicting that club bands are going to have a resurgence but I am looking forward to another era of great music in the not too distant future. This next period of great new music will be inspired by an unlikely source, the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games. These both have been huge successes and I'm predicting that enough young people will be motivated to create new music that we'll all benefit from another decade of prolific musical creativity.
Bring back the music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home