Monday, November 13, 2006

Anisette

My girlfriend Sarah made dinner for me the other night. In the salad she included some anise. Anise has a flavor that tastes like black licorice and it reminded me of my great uncle Acey. As he was my grandfathers older brother, when I got to know him, he was in his late 80's. As a young adult, I spent some time with him and by then he was pushing 100 years old and still had some good vitality. I took the opportunity to ask him what his secret to a long life was and he told me that he took a shot of annisette every day. He ultimately lived to be 101 and I now realize that I had not inquired enough about how he took his dose. Did he take a shot straight or did he dilute it in water or coffee? Did he only take one shot? Did he only take a shot of annisette and swear off all other alcohol. Goes to show that even a simple concept can have many competing alternatives.

In retrospect, I wish that I had inquired more about his approach to annisette. I did go to the liquor store and asked if they had any. The clerk never heard of it but he called the owner who found me a bottle that he had to dust off. I shared this sweet licorice liquor with Sarah and if it won't extend our health and vitality, at least we will have sweet smelling breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home