Sunday, July 02, 2006

Competition in the health field

I have been busy as of late working on some new clients. I have just started working with a client in the transportation business so I am learning yet another industry. While I was traveling recently, I saw Warren Buffett announcing his plan to contribute a huge portion of his wealth to the Gates Foundation. Bill and Melinda have done an incredible job of building an organization to give away their money and Warren sees that his money is in good hands and that they are focused on causes that he shares like education and health care.

It occurred to me that one way to address the spiraling health care costs in the US and around the world is to inject some more competition into the marketplace. I would hope that the Gates Foundation could direct some of that mass of money to providing scholarships to any person who has the academic ability and desire to become a nurse or doctor. A million more doctors without six figure loans could make a huge impact on world health. Bill and Warren have an ability to change the playing field in the health care market. Let's hope that they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home